This page contains information relevant to the 2020/2021 Research Excellence Framework. Most importantly, SCUDD and TaPra are accepting nominations for the REF sub-panel.
TaPRA-SCUDD Call for Additional Nominations to
REF 2021 UoA33 Sub-Panel
REF 2021 is now inviting nominating bodies to put forward names for additional members, including both output and impact assessors, of the ‘Music, Drama, Dance, Performing Arts, Film and Screen Studies’ sub-panel. The sub-panel particularly welcomes nominations of candidates from the following under-represented groups: women; minority genders; people from BME backgrounds; institutions/organisations in Wales or Northern Ireland; post-1992 HE institutions.
Nominations are being sought for the following roles:
- Sub-panel members (practicing researchers) with expertise in scenography, virtual realities, art/science interdisciplinary practices; the digital in performance (an ability to cover Dance and/or gaming would also be advantageous; please note that sub-panellists are also expected to read outputs outside their specialisms)
- Impact assessors with expertise in cultural programming, broadcasting, and/or audiences, or arts in education across one or more of the subpanel’s disciplinary areas; or, in arts and health (complementary expertise in arts and education would be beneficial)
Information on the panels’ structure, and the roles, responsibilities and workload of panel members is available in the Roles and recruitment of the expert panels (REF 2017/03) at https://ref.ac.uk/panels/what-is-the-role-of-expert-panels/
TaPRA and SCUDD are recognised nominating bodies to REF and will submit a joint set of nominations for these positions.
We will accept nominations from EITHER TaPRA members OR individuals who are affiliated to SCUDD member departments. Self-nominations will be accepted. To make a nomination, you need to be a member of TAPRA or affiliated to a member department of SCUDD. Nominees do not need be members of TAPRA or affiliated to a member department of SCUDD.
Please also note that the REF Team will consider new nominations alongside candidates nominated in 2017, but not appointed at that stage (therefore, please do not nominate individuals who were put forward by TaPRA and SCUDD in 2017).
It is the responsibility of the nominator to confirm that the nominee has consented to the nomination and that they are available to attend the relevant panel meetings (the Panel D main and sub-panel meeting dates can be downloaded from this page).
To make a nomination, please complete the nomination form found in the documents below and send it to the Chairs of TaPRA and SCUDD by 25 March 2020 at 11.59pm:
We will not be able to consider nominations received after the above deadline.
The Chairs of TaPRA and SCUDD will set up a small working group, comprising at least 2 members of each executive committee (in addition to themselves) as well as a former member of a RAE/REF sub-panel, to consider the nominations received and submit a final list directly to REF 2021 by the deadline (noon on 3 April 2020).
The Working Group will pay close attention to equality and diversity in relation to the characteristics of both the individuals nominated and the institutions from which they are drawn. It will endeavour to nominate well-qualified individuals from the sub-panel’s under-represented groups.
We will avoid nominating from institutions already represented on the sub-panel wherever possible.
SCUDD and TaPRA will inform successful nominees whether they have been formally nominated to REF 2021 individually by 8 April 2020. We will also notify unsuccessful nominees, but because of the anticipated number of applications we are unable to give feedback on the nomination decisions made. We are aware of the commitment that it takes to make a nomination and/or put yourself forward for these demanding roles, and would like to thank those of you who do so for demonstrating such excellent academic citizenship.
- TAPRA-SCUDD ref-2021-nomination-form-feb-2020
- REF 2021 Review: Building on success and learning from experience - an independent review of the Research Excellence Framework
- REF 2021 Review: Synthesis of responses submitted to the REF Review Call for Evidence and follow-up interviews
- REF 2021 Review: Lord Stern response
- SCUDD - TAPRA response to Stern
- HEFCE letter to VCs re REF consultation
- HEFCE response to REF consultation September 2017
- Statement agreed by scholarly associations related to the process for appointing UoA33 sub-panel chair
- Roles and nomination procedures for REF panel and sub-panel members
- HEFCE Annex E proforma - for scudd & tapra
- Open Access Response